Introduction to the blog

 In 1948, Morris Motors gave us the world's BIGGEST small car.

In 1952, BMC then gave us the updated, magnificent Series II Morris Minor, with its new 803cc, 30BHP absolute powerhouse, capable of delivering a blistering 0-60 time of 53 seconds!
Then, one cold winter night of January 2020... I bought one.





Eugene is my pride and joy, mostly original, 1954 Series II Morris Minor. I've daily driven him up until recently and have proudly learned and performed all of his... *ahem*... "repairs" by myself. He'll be with me until I die or invetiably collide with a bollard - Not an uncommon thing for me, apparently. 

"...but it's easy to say I bit off more than I could chew..."


Eugene wasn't the first time I experienced the pleasure of a failing started, frozen fuel pump or hitting my head on the world's BIGGEST small bonnet latch. I did actually own and daily drive a 1963 "moggy thou" the year before, of which I loved every moment of, until he really wouldn't start. Now, he was a bit of a shoddy example of Morris, suffering from quite nasty rot, but it's easy to say I bit off more than I could chew and boy did he bite me good!

It wasn't supposed to be Morris Minors, either. I always had a love for VW Beetles, with my first car being "Fug", a 2000 New Beetle with the ever so sluggish 2L engine! It was something about the curves and the bug-like headlights that sold these cars to me. Of course, with classics, the lack of MOT testing and tax requirements never hurt, either! But what really interested me was the potential of having a car that I could fix myself - Even roadside!

Now the story of how I came to be with Morty and then Eugene is for another day, but what I hope to write about in this blog will be a nice variety of experiences, travels, events and maybe even some thoughts on changes in the community/world of classics. We have the upcoming Kelmarsh Get Together later this month, which I will be attending and hopefully meeting some of the more well-known names of the community, as well as some of my favourite followers, so you can look forward to that!

25-26th September @ Kelmarsh. More info on the MMOC Website



With the winter season slowly showing its face too, I'll be looking to do some repairs on Eugene, mainly focusing on his pinking, rattling, farting, under-performing engine and everything that comes with trying to fix an 803cc A Series, so if you're curious about the realistic experiences of fixing your own engine, keep your eyes peeled for that!

But, until then, I bid you farewell - Keep farting along!

Oh wow, that was cringe... I need another catchphrase.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts